A Weekend "On Duty"
OK, first, as most of you know, it's difficult for me to maintain a grumpy mood for long. So, on Tuesday, I let go of the grump. And now since it's Friday, Benny and I are just bundles of sunshine for the weekend. Well, figuratively, at least. In the more literal world, it's likely we'll get rained on all weekend, but hey who needs actual sun when you plan to sleep in and be a couch potato all weekend?
We certainly won't be biking around like this poor guy:

Anyway, in order to preserve our lazy weekend plans, I call on all of you to cross your fingers for me. I. Am. On. Duty. If that doesn't put a chill in your heart, thank your lucky stars that you've never had this job. Until next Wednesday, if (outside of regular working hours) anything bad or crazy or criminal happens to, with, or involving an American citizen on this island, the Duty Phone of Doom will ring--to ME. And I will have to panic and make up some sort of answer for whatever crops up. So, let us all say a prayer to the Duty Gods: please grant our citizens the discipline to stop using drugs, the sanity to sleep in a hotel instead of on the street, the patience to not kill anyone, or at a minimum the luck to not get arrested--at least until Monday at 7:15am. Amen.
We certainly won't be biking around like this poor guy:

Anyway, in order to preserve our lazy weekend plans, I call on all of you to cross your fingers for me. I. Am. On. Duty. If that doesn't put a chill in your heart, thank your lucky stars that you've never had this job. Until next Wednesday, if (outside of regular working hours) anything bad or crazy or criminal happens to, with, or involving an American citizen on this island, the Duty Phone of Doom will ring--to ME. And I will have to panic and make up some sort of answer for whatever crops up. So, let us all say a prayer to the Duty Gods: please grant our citizens the discipline to stop using drugs, the sanity to sleep in a hotel instead of on the street, the patience to not kill anyone, or at a minimum the luck to not get arrested--at least until Monday at 7:15am. Amen.

2 Comments:
So did prayer work? Mom
Gee... I guess that means that if I get up to trouble in St. Petersburg, someone who is our age and in our peer group will get put through a lot of stress.
Odd to think of it that way, isn't it? One thinks of the foreign service as this great other. (But of course, you're in it...)
Post a Comment
<< Home