Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Limits of Prayer

In all fairness, the prayer thing worked for a while. I mean, I can choose to believe it worked. I made it through the weekend with nary a duty call. My luck ran out on Monday, though. First off, though unrelated to being on duty, the air conditioning didn't work in the office until long after lunch. As you might imagine, it's kind of hot here, so that was unpleasant. But, the worse was yet to come. Mere minutes after I got home that night, the first of many phone calls started. This isn't the forum for details, but let me tell you, it was not fun. From Monday at 4:30pm to today at 5:00pm I spent so much time on the Duty Phone of Doom that I think I may have lost some hearing in my right ear (strange aside: I can only listen to the phone with my right ear. The left one just sounds wrong for some reason. This isn't usually a problem, but man is my right ear tired).

Benny deserves a big thanks for putting up with the craziness. Unfortunately, when the DPoD rings in the middle of the night, it wakes up everyone in the room. I offered to sleep in the guest room the next time I'm on duty, to spare him. Also, we couldn't do anything fun today with our day off (Jamaican Labor Day) since I had to stay glued to the phone all day. Oh well, we have another long weekend coming up (American Memorial Day! yay for paid holidays!), so we'll do something more fun then. In any case, the DPoD goes to a new home tomorrow, so--WOOHOO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home